Monday, December 05, 2005

Get Audible - Turn dead time into productive time

I love Audible. Why? Because Audible + iPod+ Transit Time = more time to learn new things. With Audible, I turn all of my dead time into either productive or leisure time. With audible, it is like I have a 26 hour day.

I first subscribed to Audible in my senior year of college. I was hunting for jobs and reading the Wallstreet Journal every day. Then I found out that you could have the Wallstreet Journal audio version delivered to your Ipod every morning at 5am. I bought an Ipod and signed up for audible. Back then, between walking to and from class, catching the odd meal alone, and going to and from activities I spent about 1.5 to 2 hours a day in transit - read bored. With audible, suddenly I was spending 1.5 to 2 hours a day educating myself about business without sacrificing one iota of time from a very busy schedule.

Now, I am addicted. I listen to the news as I walk to work. I read up on brain chemistry or investing strategies while I am at the supermarket. And I listen to executive briefings from the Stanford channel (60 minutes each) on my lunch hour. I would sooner give up my cell phone than my premium listener subscription to audible. (although coffee still beats audible)

I subscribe to their premium listener service. I get two books and one periodical each month for $20. Many of the books would cost me $20 alone to purchase on Amazon (Ben Graham's Intelligent Investor for example). Perhaps a better example is that I often get the audio version of the Harvard Business Review each month as part of the subscription (printed version costs more than $20).

So with audible I get both 1) more time in my week to read/listen to books and 2) the same books for less than it would cost me at the bookstore. We're living in a world where knowledge is king, where knowledge work is becoming the rule rather than the exception. In such a world, those who succeed are those who can take in and process the most information in the shortest period of time. I am a slow reader, so Audible.com is an essential part of my strategy for success.

If you are interested in trying it out for free, click here or on the image below


Three FREE Audiobooks RISK-FREE from Audible


Disclosure: If you sign up for audible by clicking on that link, then I may get a commission.
Further Disclosure: Audible has not requested or endorsed this post. I would recommend their products just as highly if I didn't get a cent. If you don't believe me, try them and see. It is the only product i have ever used that gave me a 26 hour day.

No comments: